Date of publication: 2017-08-03 18:34
85. They preach no Christian doctrine who teach that contrition is not necessary in those who intend to buy souls out of purgatory or to buy confessionalia.
58. Nor are they the merits of Christ and the Saints, for even without the pope, these always work grace for the inner man, and the cross, death, and hell for the outward man.
9. The penalty [of sin], therefore, continues so long as hatred of self continues for this is the true inward repentance, and continues until our entrance into the kingdom of heaven.
Hello, Mar: as Ryan mentions, grad school stress is addressed elsewhere on the site. This article was intended to cover different territory with a proactive approach to thesis writing so that the stress melt down is minimized. Thanks for the comment!
87. Every true Christian, whether living or dead, has part in all the blessings of Christ and the Church and this is granted him by God, even without letters of pardon.
86. Again: -- "Why does not the pope, whose wealth is to-day greater than the riches of the richest, build just this one church of St. Peter with his own money, rather than with the money of poor believers?"
I am a big fan of saving paper and not printing out reams of articles to be read and then stuffed into filing cabinets. I highly recommend a citation management program, such as Endnote. Find out which program your advisor uses (see if he or she will let you install the program on your computer). Some departments even offer this software free of charge. Not only are all of the citations in your library searchable, but you can also file them into folders based on the subject matter (Figure 6).
89. Again: -- "What is this new piety of God and the pope, that for money they allow a man who is impious and their enemy to buy out of purgatory the pious soul of a friend of God, and do not rather, because of that pious and beloved soul's own need, free it for pure love's sake?"
9. Therefore the Holy Spirit in the pope is kind to us, because in his decrees he always makes exception of the article of death and of necessity.
If at all possible, try to get your thesis printed off for your committee a day or two in advance. This allows a cushion for the inevitable printer meltdown or copier jam. In my case, I got my final edits at 66 pm the night before my dissertation was due. Luckily, there weren’t a lot of changes to make, and there were no printer fiascos. I finished the edits by midnight and had the whole thing printed off by about 7 in the morning. Although I won’t say that I wasn’t completely stressed out and about to melt down myself…
65. This fear and horror is sufficient of itself alone (to say nothing of other things) to constitute the penalty of purgatory, since it is very near to the horror of despair.
76. Therefore those preachers of indulgences are in error, who say that by the pope's indulgences a man is freed from every penalty, and saved
Do have a colleague read your document installments before you give them to your advisor. Run spell check and do all the basics before you offer up your baby to the red pen of death. If you really struggle with writing, or if you are not a native English speaker, there are services out there that will clean up your document on a by-the-hour basis. Spare your advisor the frustration of correcting simple errors.
89. It is most difficult, even for the very keenest theologians, at one and the same time to commend to the people the abundance of pardons and [the need of] true contrition.